Tuesday, September 16, 2008

7 Things I HATE about You


In our house there are certain words that you are not allowed to say. There are the standard 4 letter words as well as several others. Liar, stupid, jerk, shut up, suck, and hate are the big ones. Just recently we were driving in the car and the new Miley Cyrus song "7 Things" came on. I remarked to the kids that I couldn't believe she was saying the hate word. I always tell the kids that they can dislike something or someone but we should never hate. It isn't a Christ like quality. Dawson then asked me if he could hate diabetes. Tears welled in my eyes and I turned to my son and told him YES. He can hate diabetes. So in honor of Dawson and our new hate for diabetes I thought I would write down the 7 things I hate about diabetes.


1. I hate the way you make Dawson feel.

2. I hate that you have stolen a piece of his sweet innocence.

3. I hate that my son thinks about dying because of you.

4. I hate that you have taken away Dawson's independence and ability to be on his own.

5. I hate all of the sleep you take.

6. I hate the permanent damage you are constantly causing Dawson's body.

7. I hate that you chose my son.


I said it and its true. I hate diabetes. As much as I hate it, I know that this disease is making Dawson and our family stronger than ever.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I hate it for you. I understand why you feel the way you do and it's okay to call diabetes a four-letter word if you want. If you can't think of one I'd be happy to give you a few to try out. Love you, Anna

katy said...

I feel your pain! Hate- it's a strong word to discribe a strong disease. Will my daughter be able to have children, will she live long enough to be able to raise them? "Normal" isn't a word a diabetic teenager ever gets to use. Our lives will never be "normal".
Katy