Wednesday, October 22, 2008

1988

A couple of years ago Matt and I went to a Def Leopard concert. "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and "Love Bites" were number one songs the year Matt graduated from High School. When the concert started Matt couldn't believe how old the band looked. When he looked around everyone in the audience looked old to him too. It didn't occur to him that he was old.

They say that time increases in value as we age. After attending Matt's 20 year high school reunion I would say his time is getting pretty close to priceless.

I don't think anybody can attend their 20 year high school reunion and not feel old. Matt didn't care. He was really looking forward to it. Matt and his friends started talking about it on the phone and on their myspace pages months before the weekend arrived. Matt was so excited to see everybody and catch up on what has happened in the last 20 years. It surprised me that he had such genuine interest to find out and see how everybody was doing. I look at my high school years as a transitional time in my life. Not Matt. He loved high school and has wonderful memories of the time and people he grew up with.

Matt was a great guy in high school. He was well liked and respected. He had really great friends and seemed to always have a good time. People enjoyed being around him and he was always good for a laugh. A lot has changed for Matt in 20 years, however this weekend I realized a lot is still the same. Matt is still well liked and respected. He is genuine and sincere with his friends and he makes us all laugh.

A little grayer, a little balder, only a little wiser but still the same Matt. I love you honey. Thanks for a great weekend.

No comments: