Sunday, October 5, 2008

Before there was Matt there was Jordan



New Kids was my first concert - I was 14 and in Junior High. I fell into hysterics when Jordan pointed to my handmade "I Love You Jordan" sign and smiled.
Surely that was a sign that we were destined to be together, right?


1998-1990 were my Jordan years. I was totally infatuated with Jordan Knight. One of the singers in the boy band New Kids on the Block. I would eat, drink, and sleep NKOTB. I bought every tape and later my first CD I ever bought was Hanging Tough by the New Kids. (Yes I still have it) Every poster they made hung on my bedroom walls. I babysat for weeks on end to earn $98 for the jean jacket with Step by Step (a song title) embroidered on the back. I had every video tape, button, t shirt, pillowcase and even swim towel that was made. I had the New Kids on the Block barbie dolls also. I loved the way they sang, the way they moved, and especially the way they looked.


Looking back I giggle thinking about my "love" for Jordan, the T-shirts, buttons, collectible cards and posters. But does the flame still burn?


I guess it does because I couldn't wait to get my tickets for their reunion tour. This time with my best friend Natalie. We are both in our 30's, have way too many kids between the both of us, have great husbands and respectable jobs, have mortgages and other responsibilities that we both couldn't fathom when we were 14. But I teased my hair, put on my torn jeans, made a NKOTB tshirt and grabbed my old tape and cd and headed for the concert. On the way there I asked Natalie whether she would marry a New Kid if he asked her. She said no. (she was never as big of a fan as I was). I say yes. Surely Matt wouldn't deny me the joy of crossing out one of the items on my adolescent to-do list. It was a night that I will never forget. I still knew all of the words. They still did all of the same choreography. It was reminiscent. And it makes me smile every time I think of it.


Lest you think I am totally blinded by warm adolescent memories I do recognize that there is greater talent when it comes to music. Natasha Bedingfield was the opening act and she could out sing all of the boys put together but there is something about donning matching outfits and executed synchronized dance moves that still makes my heart swoon.

1 comment:

Emily said...

aunt elle have i not taught you what is cool and not cool. somethings should be left a secret and by the way Jordan is gay.. so marriage would have never worked so it is a good thing you took uncle matt's proposal.. well in our book it is good i dont know do you think it was in yours?