Friday, August 8, 2008

DKA

Tuesday Night
I had a really fun activity planned for the kids and I. Matt was out of town so I was going to take the kids roller skating. Everybody was excited. Parker and Dawson raced out onto the rink as soon as they could tie their skates. Parker took it slow the first couple of laps to get the hang of it. He didn't leave the outer ring for a while. Dawson got on the rink going top speed. Reagan waited until she liked the song that was playing and then proceeded to skate up and down the carpeted hall instead of the rink. I laughed just watching all of them. They are so different. We all had a fun time skating. When we started the drive home Dawson's pump started beeping that he was having a high blood sugar. This didn't surprise me because Dawson always runs a little high when he is exercising and his adrenaline is raised. I gave Dawson insulin when we got home and sent everybody to bed. I put Dawson in my bed so I could monitor his numbers. At midnight his number was still over 300 so I gave him more insulin and set my alarm to check him in 2 hours. At 2:00 a.m. his numbers were finally back into normal range but Dawson woke up not feeling good. That's when he started throwing up. It happened three more times that night and I knew he was in trouble. I got out Dawson's new blood ketone machine and tested Dawson for ketones. I was shocked when I read the results. 3.7. Normal is 0. Dawson was in DKA. DKA is defined by Wikipedia as "a life-threatening complication in patients with Type 1 Diabetes. Near complete deficiency of insulin and elevated levels of certain stress hormones combine to cause DKA." Okay. But what does that mean. So I pulled out my book that I call diabetes for dummies that the hospital gives to newly diagnosed patients. It said "ketones + vomiting = emergency room."

Wednesday Morning


I took Dawson to Mary Washington Hospital and my parents met me there to pick up the other two kids. They determined that he needed to be transferred by ambulance to Farifax Children's Hospital.


Thursday



Dawson is so brave. He always had a smile on his face. After two days in the hospital Dawson was finally ready to come home.


Friday Morning



Dawson wanted to bring his brother and sister back something from his "trip". Hospital pajamas for both of them. We are glad to have Dawson home and feeling better.

2 comments:

Anna said...

You're right, Dawson is a real trouper. And he's always quick to smile. I might just have to come and give him a big hug.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there. I am so proud of Dawson, what a good boy. He handles his disease better that some adults I know! You are the best mom Elle. You have been so proactive in learning as much as you can, and helping others to understand Diabetes. Too bad you had to teach the ER nurses and Dr's! I'm glad all is well. Cute P.J.'s. Reagan can make anything look good. Is Parker going through that fase where it isn't cool to smile?