Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Seek Failure"

As I mentioned in a previous post, the best thing that happened to our family this summer was definitely attending the Children With Diabetes Friends for Life Conference. The CWD Friends for Life conference in Orlando is filled with parents who care. With kids who pump and who know the carb content in their favorite breakfast cereal. With grandparents who can proudly program a pump, or siblings who know how to treat their brother or sister's low blood sugar. It's also filled with some of the diabetes medical community's finest. One of the conference speakers was Jay Hewitt. He is a type 1 diabetic who competes in iron man competitions. Jay encouraged the kids to set goals and take control of their lives.
"Make the bad things that happen to you the best thing that happened to you. Seek failure. Think about failing. Set goals that have failure potential. Failure is not a bad thing. If you've never failed, you aren't trying hard enough."

I started thinking about Jay's comments this week because it is so easy for me to feel like I'm failing as a mom. With so many "big" things to do on my daily list I often over look the little things. Its the little things that make me feel like a failure. Little things like when its your kid who forgot his water for football practice(again) or your daughter has no shoes on at the grocery store. When I remembered Jay's comments about failure it made me realize that I'm trying my hardest and failure is not a bad thing. So I want to encourage all of you to "Seek Failure".


P.S. Check out http://jayhewitt.com/. Jay is pretty darn handsome. Maybe that's why his inspirational message resonated to my very core!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you , thank you. You said it so perfectly. I know exactly what you mean. Being a mom is the very job that makes me feel most like a failure and then there are moments when I think look at my kids they are doing pretty good over all, I must not be doing too bad. Anyway great post I loved it and it was exactly the message us moms need to hear.

I think you are a great mom, Elle. I know with Matt out of town a lot it must be hard, but you are doing great! Love ya.
Your younger sis!

Emily said...

Well i am glad to hear that all is well. Dawson we are all so proud of you for being brave while dealing with this difficult time. We all know you are strong and that you can overcome all. Just keep strong and remember we all love you so much and we are here for anything. Park, you will have to let me know when you have games because i want to come up and see one. Reg, dancing sounds like so much fun and i am sure you will look so cute doing it. It is perfect for you because you have the right amound of additude and sas that a dancer has. Aunt Elle well i can see you taste in music is kind of getting better we still need to get that hip factor a little higher. Ha! You are a great mom and we all can see that you do so much for the kids and are there for everygame and practice. Well all of us here in NC miss you all. Excited to see you hopefully really soon. We love you all so very much!
Emily